Fulton Hill Studios is a 45,000 sf mixed-use transformation that sits on five acres in the Greater Fulton area of Richmond.
Built in 1916 as an elementary school, it was named for American artist Robert Fulton, who later became an inventor who was instrumental in making steamboat travel a reality. The Robert Fulton School closed in 1979, and was purchased by Fulton Hill Properties in 1997. A beautiful restoration was completed in 1999.
With its huge banks of mullioned windows, completely restored heart pine floors and gleaming terrazzo hallways, the 32 original classrooms have been transformed into an eclectic mix of more than 50 creative spaces, including artist’s studios and office spaces for photographers, marketing companies and other businesses, including Fulton Hill Properties. Additional space in the former auditorium is available to rent for events, exhibits and performances. The beautiful tiered front lawn has been host to everything from music performances to weddings to the Shakespeare Festival.
Fulton Hill Studios was one of the first schools in the country to be renovated for this type of use, and is cited as an example of “Intelligent Adaptation” by the National Park Service when advising other localities that are contemplating similar projects.